skip to Main Content

Apply for a Street Party from Wokingham Borough Council

Apply for Platinum Jubilee street party

If you want to apply for a street party to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee we can make a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order close a road to traffic as long as the conditions below are met and most properties on the road agree to the closure.

Cul-de-sacs and minor residential roads that have simple diversion routes will be considered for a road closure.

However major routes, distributor roads or those being used as bus routes will not be considered for road closure.

There will be no cost for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a road for street parties to celebrate the Jubilee on any day between 2 June 2022 and 5 June 2022.

Conditions that need to be met while the road is closed are:

  • Road closure signs and barriers in line with Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 need to be erected at the point of closure to prevent vehicles from driving into the road – if you need we can assist you with road closure signs or barriers
  • Signs and structures on the road are adequately lit after dark
  • No bonfires lit and no fireworks set off in the road
  • The first 14 metres (45 feet) from each entrance to the road is unobstructed at all times
  • Access to service roads and passages are kept clear at all times
  • Pedestrian and vehicle access to premises within the boundary of the closure is maintained at all times
  • Access for emergency service vehicles is maintained at all times – including access to any fire hydrants – we suggest that one side of the road is kept clear of static objects (eg tables) to enable emergency access
  • If the road closure is planned for the same day as waste collection the road is not closed until after the collection has been made
  • No damage shall be caused to the road or street furniture – if damage is caused you may be liable
  • The road and any verges or other green areas is left in a clean and tidy condition and the organiser is responsible for clearance and disposal of all furniture, signage, decorations and litter after the event (including making good any damage e.g. reseeding where necessary)
  • Any instructions given by a Police Officer in uniform, authorised Council employee or driver of an emergency service vehicle is complied with immediately
  • The law relating to the use of roads is respected at all times – it’s recommended that the organisers contact the local police to discuss any specific requirements
  • The organisers must consult all the residents in the streets likely affected by the party to make sure the majority are in favour of a street party – some residents of a closed road will want to drive in and out, make sure this can be done easily
  • All alcohol consumed in the road is provided at no cost to the participants
  • We’d suggest that organisers  consult a reputable insurance company or broker to safeguard themselves against the possibility of any liability – if the event organiser follows this process provide a copy of the insurance document

If you can meet these conditions and you want to apply for a Jubilee street party please fill in the form on the WBC website by 15 May 2022. 

Back To Top